After an intense, exciting, and inspirational afternoon, the 2nd annual ‘Seed Your Startup’ business pitch competition awarded GamePress $5,000 to launch in London over summer 2013.
Hosted by BizInc and the Student Success Centre at Western University, Seed your Startup encourages the transition from entrepreneurial ideas to formalized action plans. 50 business proposals were submitted by current students on the campuses of Western University and Fanshawe College and 5 finalists were selected to work closely with event organizers to refine their idea and polish their pitch for the final presentation. Finalists competed in front of a panel of London business leaders, and an audience of 150 students, faculty, and community members.
“We are so impressed with the caliber of proposals we reviewed this year”, says John Pollock, Director of BizInc. “There is a strong culture of entrepreneurship on our campuses, and Seed Your Startup is a great way to showcase this talent to London”. A wide range of business proposals were presented on April 11, 2013:
- ShockLock, a mechanical tool which reinforces gas-charged vehicle lift supports for hatches such as hoods, trunks and windows at varying heights;
- Igniteck, the GymNut application allows personal trainers to offer a secondary affordable service for gym members;
- Modern Edge Razors, combines restored vintage straight razors with modern design and exotic woodworking to produce cutting-edge razors;
- GamePress, allows users to create, share and play mobile games on the iPad;
- Build-A-Bakeshop, provides generic and customized packaging, display items, accessories and design services for small to medium bakery businesses.
Seed your Startup 2013 was made possible by community sponsors: Royal Bank of Canada, the Investor’s Group, Ivey Business School, Loblaw Companies Limited, Ernst & Young, the Small Business Centre, and Enactus.